Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Opening Day

Opening Day is when the instructors come back to the college.


Since June 14th, three months ago, the instructors have not been on campus. Some of them have since they taught summer quarter, but not all of them. The campus is certainly a lot more quiet when instructors and students are not there. However, today the instructors came back to what we call Opening Day. We all meet in the large main dining room and have a light breakfast. We hear the President give his annual speech. We also hear from a key note speaker, outstanding staff awards are given out, and awards for how many years one has worked at the college. We then are given a nice lunch. The instructors go on to workshops for the rest of the day while we go back to our offices to catch up on our e-mails.


I was happy that I didn't cough too much during the speeches and presentations. I had plenty of things to drink and had taken my medicine. I wore a new shirt that I was getting compliments on left and right. That made me feel pretty good. I am not the more fashion savvy person and when I actually get something right, I am more happy about it than you would think (or I would think). So, I got started on the right foot this year.


Kari and the boys were here for dinner tonight. I made a home cooked meal which everyone was happy about too. The boys will stay with me tonight and I will take them to school in the AM. Kari has another retreat, but with the Valley Cities people that she is learning from to be a counselor. So we are on schedule tonight with boys in bed and me going to bed too at the same time. I get to read my magazines until I know the boys are sleeping. Then it is lights out for me too.


No comments: